Sunday, March 26, 2006

The Porky Fish Clone?

Researchers say they have created cloned piglets that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, the oil that is prized as being beneficial to the heart.

A team led by Yifan Dai of the University of Pittsburgh's School of Medicine transferred into foetal pig cells a gene called fat-1 that had been identified in a well-studied lab animal, a tiny worm known as Caenorhabditis elegans. A worm that fish eat. The story is here

My Thoughts:

Creating transgenic hogs in an attempt to mimic the potential nutrition benefits of fish, somehow makes me think that science is ready to go a long way in creating the ultimate balanced diet in a "canned" food clone!

My mother told me to eat fish as part of a good diet! If she wanted me to eat pork alone she would have said so.

Why do we need to "clone" to create healthy food?

In order to help justify this work, it has also been suggested that fish are being over-harvested so we need to clone and change other animals to subsitute for fish?

HUH? Why not take a real hard look at practicing more fish farming using an eco-friendly manner, and forget about changing animals to be something that they are not! I can agree with the statement that wild fish stocks have been over harvested. Ancient people have farmed fish for thousands of years and in doing so, they created more supply by growing fish, not a changed animal. What is Aquaculture

In 2002, Prather's team created pigs designed to produce organs that were more suitable for transplantation into humans.

4 comments:

Xun said...

Hello, Thanks for dropping by my blog (http://emmaandus.blogspot.com) and kindly commenting there. I am really encouraged and delighted by it. I hope one day when my little daughter grows up, she would fondly remember the songs and the way I sing to her, as the way you did.

Read your profile, this is funny, but does not make much sense.:

You have to dig a hole to China. Where do you start?
Where I ended digging last week!

Xun said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog and commenting kindly there. I was really encouraged and delighted by it. I hope one day my daughter would fondly remember the songs I sing to her, as the way you did.

Thanks, visit again.

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting!

I'll visit your blog often.

Cheers

Unknown said...

"""Read your profile, this is funny, but does not make much sense.:

You have to dig a hole to China. Where do you start?
Where I ended digging last week!"""
LOL

It was the first question when I joined blogger and Digging to china would be endless so I answered silly like!